Saturday, December 5, 2009

Slutcracker Profile: JPunx

Describe your artistic life before/outside of The Slutcracker, this year's or last.
I've been a club kid since high school. The thing is that while almost all of my friends got "too old" to keep it up, I never stopped, so I've been dancing for over 30 years, but I've only been performing for the last 6 years or so. Performing began when I started hooping with some members of Groove Hoops from New York at the Berkfest Music Festival in Western Massachusetts in 2002, and they invited me to hoop with them around the festival the following year. That led, in a non-direct route to some DJ'ing opportunities and other involvement in music events and hooping around mid-coast and Portland, Maine. I was coming to Boston for work and met up with some of the other members of what was to become the Boston Hoop Troop and suddenly I was performing at parades, night clubs, warehouse parties and Burning Man events. Most recently I've been doing more fire hooping.



What The Slutcracker has done for me is really open up burlesque as something I, as a man, can do as performance. It's not about watching someone else, specifically women, do it. I can be a burlesque performer too. So I have Sugar Dish to thank for that; she put the opportunity in front of me, and now I'm doing burlesque too. I'm not just hooping as part of the side show with a juggler and the comedians anymore; I'm gonna take my clothes off too and have fun doing it.

What is your favorite accessory/clothing item/sparkly thing to don?
Glitter. You can't have too much sparkle.

What do you do as a contributing member of society, and how do you feel about said contribution?
I'm nice to people. I smile and hold doors for them, I say "please" and "thank you", and help strangers out when they need it. I try to spread a good vibe. If everyone did this society would be nicer; our moms and dads told us to do this but a lot of us forget; heck, a lot of our moms and dads forgot too. Being nice to people is an AWESOME contribution to make to society; I feel great about being able to make someone's day a bit brighter. Did I say glitter?

Are you shooting for the stars? Are you landing on the moon?
I'm always shooting for something; it keeps me out of trouble.

Are you sick of career metaphors and doing shrooms behind the tent at your college reunions?
Sick of career metaphors, yes. I could never tire of shrooms, especially at my college reunions.



If I wanted to get you drunk enough for . . . I don't know, the best thing you can think of, what would I order?
If we're staying legal, I'd have to say a very dirty, sluty martini, or 3.

Best song to dance to, of all time:
Cheryl Lynn's "Got to be Real".

Stance on healthcare reform:
Less war stuff, more nice stuff; yes, health care reform would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment